Discuss (FTP), (FTP on .NET CF) and (FTPS, SFTP and SCP).

Odd connection behavior

no avatar
User

daveinca

Wed May 04, 2011 1:33 am

Roseville, CA

Odd connection behavior

by daveinca » Tue May 10, 2011 10:24 am

no avatar
User

support2

Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 am

Re: Odd connection behavior

by support2 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Any success with this? The log doesn't really help much. Can it be replicated in a debugger?
no avatar
User

daveinca

Roseville, CA

Re: odd connection behavior

by daveinca » Fri May 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding. I deployed this solution at our customer site yesterday and it did this every time it ran. It never successfully connected to the FTP server. Since the customer site is a hospital, I can't really do much debugging in that setting.

But, I can run in the debugger here at home (my work location). Unfortunately, it rarely happens here although it does happen every once in a while. So I am very open to running this in the debugger if there are things that can be done to help determine the problem and the solution.

Is it possible that something in the network (firewall configuration perhaps) is causing this problem? Could it be that FTP service is blocked by the customer's firewall settings? Is there something else that could account for this? Given the lack of information in the log, this is a very difficult problem to understand. I'm just not sure what is going on but I do have to get it resolved quickly as I only have until Monday to fix the problem. I may have to try a different FTP solution if this one is not going to work although I'm not sure another FTP library (or doing it directly through Windows) is really going to work any better since I don't know what is causing the problem.
no avatar
User

daveinca

Roseville, CA

by daveinca » Sat May 21, 2011 12:13 am

no avatar
User

support2

by support2 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:04 am

no avatar
User

daveinca

Roseville, CA

by daveinca » Sat May 21, 2011 10:43 am

Where do you suggest the additional try/catch pairs? I have to one around the UploadStream() call which should catch anything there. Should I include one around the Connect() call as well? That seems to be where the problem is so that would probably be a good idea regardless. The only other call is to Close() but that doesn't seem like it would need a try/catch pair. Do you have any example code that demonstrates what you would typically do?

I will have to check with the hospital IT guys once I get back to the site. I'm not sure if they can punch a hole in the firewall for me or not. I could try setting my router here to deny FTP and see if that replicates the problem.
no avatar
User

support2

by support2 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am

Yes, Connect() and Close() should be included in the try/catch.
no avatar
User

daveinca

Roseville, CA

by daveinca » Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 am

no avatar
User

support2