Discuss , our SFTP/FTP/FTPS/SCP server for Windows. Secure, fast and customizable!

Wierd issue - how to debug?

no avatar
User

ahmedilyas

Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Wierd issue - how to debug?

by ahmedilyas » Tue May 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Rather a difficult one.

Set up the CompleteFTP to allow passwordWithKey for SFTP.

I am using Windows.

I generated a public/private key.

public key is imported

I can use 3rd party FTP Clients to connect to the server no problem.

I am using a development component called DART and using their SFTP solution.
I can connect to the server using username and password fine BUT when supplying the private key, it fails and I always get that PEM Authentication failed from the software when authenticating.

Looking at the CompleteFTPServer log, I get this but not sure where to turn. I am using the SAME private key as the one I give to a normal FTP Client (which works)

2011-05-24 12:33:36,041 DEBUG User [9:user] Did not verify key: Invalid PKCS1 padding 1
2011-05-24 12:33:36,041 ERROR PublicKeyAuthentication [9:user] Failed to verify signature
EnterpriseDT.Net.Ssh.Routrek.PKI.VerifyException: failed to verify RSA (multi)
at wfVSSF2sWcpyJNmiWZ5.aKfgdN2fKJHAxOrLShK.Dk6ezeAVFD(CSFeXbDtHuQ2C1ZvaL0[] , Byte[] , Byte[] )
at wfVSSF2sWcpyJNmiWZ5.aKfgdN2fKJHAxOrLShK.0eSe23FMk9(PublicKeyAlgorithm , Byte[] , Byte[] )
at lejGrv25rhW7k9YoBct.Cj2r6d2PgtQRCxykEEw.MHPtSxykef(PublicKeyAlgorithm , Byte[] , Byte[] )
at VFwbufMF2DQiO1MKn2a.4NBTulMO4sZ8OF34Pop.jjTi7XMkGhmDlfKKrFV.Authenticate(jLNh8HMBGcUgyP76DQY , SSH2DataReader )

clearly, I am sure the problem lays in the DART component but want to confirm what else I can do here to "make it work"? Any suggestions or tips?
no avatar
User

support2

Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 am

Re: Wierd issue - how to debug?

by support2 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:12 am

In the first instance, please send us a clean debug log (see this forum) - to support@enterprisedt.com

We can try replicating if you send us your config file (see the FAQ forum) and your private key (with passphrase).
no avatar
User

ahmedilyas

Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm

by ahmedilyas » Wed May 25, 2011 12:15 am

I think I just managed to get it to work. I guess the UI for the CompleteFTP Server is a little misleading?

I chose to ignore the settings to some extent and just chose the "PublicKey" option (without pass)

and it worked. so I don't need to supply a password but only the private key from the client software I am developing along with the username.

At least it seems to work. as if I create another private key with a different password, CompleteFTP will not accept it as this is not what the public key holds (and correctly so)
no avatar
User

support2

Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 am

by support2 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:17 am

Yes, generally one advantage of using public key authentication is that a password is not required.