Discuss , our SFTP/FTP/FTPS/SCP server for Windows. Secure, fast and customizable!
no avatar
User

davidgrudek

Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 am

Active Directory groups and ftp server syncronization

by davidgrudek » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:17 am

Will this server support Active Directory groups?

Also I would like to know if there is a feature you could add to do a realtime ftp sync to a different server to keep them mirrored as close to rela time as possible for disaster recovery?
no avatar
User

EDT Support

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:03 pm

by EDT Support » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:21 am

We don't currently have any support for AD groups, though we do have plans to use them for our upcoming "automatic Windows user" feature. What would you like to use them for?

We don't have any plans for realtime synchronization between servers. Essentially FTP servers are a way of distributing files to clients, so I'm not sure that an FTP server is really the right place for this sort of function. For example, Windows has the , which can be used for this purpose. There's also which, though originally developed for Unix, is also available for Windows. And there is a whole range of other commercial offerings that address this issue.

What do you think would be the advantages of using an FTP server for this?

- Hans (EnterpriseDT)
no avatar
User

davidgrudek

Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 am

by davidgrudek » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:46 am

I would be using the ad groups for this:

I would set this group to have access, so I will not need to keep adding users to your software each time a user is added to this AD group. Ten I will say that that user has access to D:\Home\%username%. Each user will have thier own folder in this folder that was created at user creation time in Active Directory. This way it is set and I am not chnaging anything in your software each time a user is made.

As for the ryns stuff. I believe this would be a great feature to add so you can have replicated servers for in case one of them goes down then the other will be availablewith the exact data and it would be nice to have them in a mlti star pattern replication so a company could have ftp servers in multiple locations that are an exact miiror of each other. Just like you would sync for software downloads in many countries but the ftp server would handle all its own mirrored locations.

Thanks for your help.